Cheesecake Factory Chicken Madeira
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 skinless chicken breast fillets
8 asparagus spears
4 mozzarella cheese slices
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups sliced fresh white mushrooms
3 cups madeira wine
2 cups beef broth
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Heat up 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cover each chicken breast with plastic wrap then use a mallet to flatten the chicken to about 1/4-inch thick. Sprinkle each fillet with salt and pepper.
2. Saute the chicken fillets for 4 to 6 minutes per side, or until chicken has browned just a bit. Remove chicken filllets from the pan and wrap them together in foil to keep fillets warm while you make the sauce. Don’t clean the pan.
3. With heat still on medium, add two tablespoons of oil to the skillet. Add the sliced mushrooms and saute for about 2 minutes. Add madeira wine, beef broth, butter and pepper. Bring sauce to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until sauce reduces to about one quarter of its original volume. When the sauce is done it will have thickened and turned a dark brown color.
4. As the sauce is simmering, bring a medium saucepan filled about halfway with water to a boil. Add a little salt to the water. Boil asparagus for 3 to 5 minutes, depending on thickness of spears. Drop asparagus into a bowl of ice water to halt the cooking. The asparagus should be slightly tender when done, not mushy.
5. Set oven to broil. Prepare the dish by arranging cooked chicken fillets on a baking pan. Cross two asparagus spears over each fillet, then cover each with a slice of mozzarella cheese. Broil the fillets for 3 to 4 minutes or until light brown spots begin to appear on the cheese.
6. To serve, arrange one or two chicken breasts on each plate, then spoon 3 or 4 tablespoons of madeira sauce over the chicken.